Jul 9, 2009

The last days.

Today was a bit interesting. The place I’ve been working at held a company wide off-site at the Bronx Zoo. Freelancers could come but, you wouldn’t be paid. A bunch of freelancers opted not to go but, I decided I very much did want to go and I’m glad I did.

I haven’t been to the zoo in ages and it’s really, really beautiful. One of the perks of going was that all attendees got a ticket they could use to visit the zoo at some point in the future. I didn’t spend much time after everything wrapped up (the batteries on my camera died) but, I’m certain to go back because it really was wonderful.

Getting back to the off-site though, it’s been a long time since I’ve been involved in any kind of company activity via any of the places I’ve worked. The last time I think was when I was working at as a production manager somewhere and they had a Christmas party at a nice restaurant. It was pleasant but since it was a small office it’s not like there were very many people in attendance. Thinking about it now, it had to be at least seven years ago.

Quite a stretch of time.

Still, I’ve really been enjoying my current gig. I’m happy with where I sit and I like the people around me. The work is painless for the most part and I have little to complain about. Unfortunately the assignment is drawing to an end. It was supposed to wrap up last month but I suddenly got extended another month (for which I was very happy). Barring something else happening my last day will be next week and I have to say I’m a little sad over that.

I’ve gotten into a bit of a routine and I find I’m liking the structure of it – I needed a bit of structure and I knew it ahead of time.

So, I got to go to the zoo today and again it was indeed a lot of fun. About the only animals I really saw where walruses (or were they seals?) in a big outdoor pool after everything broke up. You know, I can’t say I found them too interesting though. See most of the noises they were making sounded a amazingly like the noises my stomach makes and I get enough of that at home.

No comments: